HOW TO DRAW ANY FASHION POSE
You probably have watched some fashion pose drawing tutorials and was left with light dissatisfaction. I thought that it was unfair to show the limited amount of fashion poses in my tutorials.
Instead, I decided to explain how to use photographic references to draw any desired fashion pose. Here is a simple fashion drawing technique that I am using myself. It will let you not just draw any pose. By practicing bit by bit you will start understanding the way that body, gravity and space work together.
First of all, watch the video, where I am explaining how to draw a fashion pose based on an editorial photography. After that take a look at the examples provided below the video. Carefully look through the sketches and analyze how I used the technique to repeat the poses of the models.
SO HOW TO ANALYZE THE FASHION POSE REFERENCE?
- Draw the head paying close attention to its position (inclination, turn, etc).
- Locate the jugular notch (a hole between collarbones at the base of a neck). Remember its location in relation to the head (under the ear, under the cheekbone, etc).
- Locate shoulder points and remember the slope of the shoulder line. Sometimes collarbones have slightly different inclinations.
- Locate the bottom of the body and remember its position in relation to the head.
- Draw breast, waist and hip lines and remember their slopes. Indicate the center on every line.
- Draw center front – the line that goes from the neck all through the central points down to the bottom of the body.
- Locate the knees and remember their position in relation to the head or any other reference point.
- Locate the ankles and remember their position in relation to the head or any other part of the body.
- Shoulder to waist = shoulder to elbow. Shoulder to wrist = Shoulder to waist x 2.
Here are more videos with this fashion drawing technique.
I would be very grateful if you helped to correct any mistakes in the article 😉